13 Ways to Cultivate Your Sense of Wonder
One of the things I learned from my coach shortly after becoming self-employed was that I had to make sure I wasn’t in survival mode because it’s almost impossible to create in that space. This was important information for me because I was feeling like a pretty big failure at that point. I had quit a good government job that was killing my soul to pursue the self-employment dream and it wasn’t going well. I was just as wiped emotionally and physically while I struggled to get a business going…and I was watching our money disappear. It was a really stressful time.
My immediate focus became bringing in income that was consistent and could cover all my expenses with ease. While I worked on this, I began bird watching. I had a balcony that overlooked a pond and I would spend hours with my camera…usually on my belly…waiting for a bird to appear. I would get so excited and begin snapping pics while watching them do whatever their little heart desired.
Over time this expanded into other activities and my sense of wonder grew. And so did my business and my finances. Once I did this, things began to multiply quickly. I haven’t struggled financially in years and I’m really grateful for that. I know that creating and living in that sense of wonder played a big role in the change I experienced in my life.
Creating moments where we feel like we are a part of something larger than ourselves is powerful and it doesn’t require a lot of effort on your part. It took very little for me to lay down with my camera and wait for those birds to appear (other than patience) but the more I did this simple task, the more I felt alive. The more connected I felt and the easier it became to create what I wanted in my life. Whether you are feeling stuck with your content creation, with your business in general, or with your life as a whole; these suggestions can shift it all.
In addition to making us feel happy, awe strengthens our immune system, relieves stress, and allows us to create at an exponential level.
Elevate your daily routines by stepping out of your comfort zone. Use these ideas to cultivate your sense of awe.
Opportunities for wonder are right in front of you if you know how to look. Seeing something or someone you admire can motivate you to aim higher.
Take advantage of these methods to discover inspiration:
- Appreciate art. Decorate your home with beautiful objects and listen to music. Visit art museums and express your creativity through painting or gardening.
- Play with kids. You may have lost some of your ability to feel awe as you grew up. Spending time with younger family and friends can help you recapture your enjoyment of falling snow and mud pies.
- Walk your dog. For maximum excitement, consult the nearest dog. They’ll point out the highlights in your neighborhood park or backyard.
- Take a trip. Travel is another proven way to change your perspective and expand your thinking. Research destinations for your next vacation or a weekend outing. Order brochures, browse online, and talk with others about their recommendations.
- Go outside. Nature is a major source of inspiration close to home or far away. Watch the sun rise and set. Buy a bird feeder or volunteer at a wildlife sanctuary.
Using Habits to Spark Your Sense of Wonder
Regular daily routines, like washing dishes and attending meetings, become more meaningful when you engage fully with what you’re doing.
Try these strategies:
- Wake up early. Studies show that early risers tend to be happier and more successful. Stick to a bedtime that allows you to wake up naturally with plenty of energy to power you through your day.
- Work out. Regular exercise can help you to stay active as you age. Maintain your mental and physical strength and fitness.
- Savor your food. Healthy eating is one way of honoring how much your body does for you. Sit down and chew your food slowly. Prepare your own meals and snacks using delicious whole foods.
- Help others. Thinking about others reduces anxiety and depression. Practice random acts of kindness and find a career that enables you to have a positive impact.
- Focus on teamwork. Wonder makes you want to collaborate with others, so you can accomplish more. Celebrate diversity and build trust. Set clear goals and work on your communication skills.
- Try new things. Novelty promotes feelings of awe and helps you to stay engaged. Mingle at parties and chat with strangers. Take courses online. Ride your bike instead of driving to the office.
- Keep a journal. It’s easy for your sense of wonder to get buried under daily concerns. A journal could help you to notice and remember the amazing moments that happen each day.
Make awe part of your daily life. Slow down and discover the wonders that surround you. Awe makes you feel smaller in a positive way that broadens your perspective and enriches your experiences.
If you’d like to read more articles like this, check out our Website Content category on the blog.