7 Simple Tips to Develop Greater Mental Clarity
Ability to think clearly and accurately will never be overrated. Many of us walk around distracted or practically in a daze. This can be due to a variety of factors, including poor diet, a lack of sleep, or even a lack of understanding ourselves and our values.
We live lives full of distractions that vie for our attention. Being more clear-headed can increase the level of success you enjoy and your overall sense of well-being.
Try these tips to enjoy greater mental clarity:
- Start with your diet. Caffeine, sugar, and all the chemicals found in processed foods can work against mental clarity. No one likes to change their diet, but it may be the most important thing you can do to improve your ability to think clearly and concentrate.
- A good place to start is to stay natural. If a particular food item didn’t have a mother or come from a plant or tree, don’t eat it. That means meat, vegetables, nuts, fruits, and grains.
- Get enough sleep. According to extensive research, 7-8 hours of sleep is best for the vast majority of the adult population. You might think you do well with six hours or less but try giving seven hours a chance for a week before making a final decision.
- Naps are another great way to increase clarity and alertness. Experiment with duration and find out what works best for you. A great time for a nap is around 2:00 in the afternoon. That seems to be the time when energy begins to wane.
- Know your values. When you know your values and live by them, making decisions become easy. It’s when you lack an understanding of what’s important to you that decisions are difficult. Think about your values and write them down. Review them regularly.
- Remove distractions. Distractions include everything in your environment and emotional space that steal your attention. What do you find yourself doing or thinking about instead of doing what you should be doing? Do what you can to eliminate these things from your life.
- Meditate. Meditation is great for removing mental clutter. Get your hands on a book or take a course and learn how to meditate. Meditate daily. It’s an important skill to learn and master. Be patient and soon you’ll see the benefits.
- Take frequent, scheduled breaks. One way to keep your mind clear is to take breaks, even when you feel like you don’t need one. When you realize that you need a break, it’s too late! Studies show that a 10-minute break each hour is about right for most people. You’ll accomplish more, too.
- Have goals. Goals are useful in many ways, but perhaps their greatest utility is in the clarity they provide. Your goals provide focus. Not sure what to do? Ask yourself which option is best for achieving your goals. Without goals, you’re just drifting through life.
How would you rate your mental clarity? Are you clear on your values and who you are as a person? Are you easily distracted? Do you find it hard to focus for long periods of time? Use these tips to enhance your mental clarity.
With greater mental clarity you can get more accomplished each day. Ensure you’re getting enough sleep and eating properly. If you’re still struggling, you may want to consider professional help.