What it Takes to Be a Successful Entrepreneur
There is more to being a successful entrepreneur than simply having a great idea. It’s more than taking that idea and building into a business. Being an entrepreneur is a whole-person concept. Let’s talk about some of the most important characteristics of an entrepreneur.
What Makes an Entrepreneur?
The Investment is More than Financial
Not all entrepreneurs are born with all of the skills and tools it takes to become successful. Contrary to popular belief, most entrepreneurs are average people like you and me. They take the time to invest in themselves to become successful in their entrepreneurial endeavor.
Entrepreneurs never stop learning! Whether it’s pursuing a degree, participating in workshops, or networking with smart and more experienced people, they are always finding ways to educate themselves. Just because you are always striving to learn doesn’t mean you have to be super smart. A little focus and determination will take you a long way. There is always something new to learn if you own a business!
Self-Discipline is Paramount
Discipline is one of the defining characteristics of an entrepreneur. Being able to be your own boss and set your own schedule will do you no good if you can’t keep yourself on track. It takes a lot of self-discipline and motivation to be the boss of your own business and those who lack this characteristic often don’t do well in the entrepreneurial world.
Why Entrepreneurs Are So Valuable
Entrepreneurs are everywhere! Our world wouldn’t run without them. The guy who runs the bakery down the street–entrepreneur. The woman who owns the hair salon you go to–entrepreneur. No matter the country or part of the world you live in, you are surrounded by entrepreneurs and the products and services they provide.
For the Better
Besides providing economic value to our communities, entrepreneurs bring a lot of other things to the table. Entrepreneurs are NOT okay with the status quo. You embrace change. You wake up hungry and you desire to create. You are constantly looking for ways to improve processes, products, and services. We have a lot of entrepreneurs to thank for making our lives better!
They Value Values
One critical characteristic of an entrepreneur is that they have values and above all, they value time. As an entrepreneur, your most valuable asset is your time. Not only do they value their own time, they also value others’ time. After all, time is money.
You understand the value of balance. You know to maintain a balance between work and life, although sometimes the line for an entrepreneur gets a little blurry. You also need to understand the value of build-measure-learn…you know when to keep moving forward on your path and when it’s time to change course.
Entrepreneurs value advice. Asking for help is definitely NOT a weakness and is a defining characteristic of an entrepreneur who will be successful. You don’t have to do it on your own. Take advice from those who have paved the way before you.
Digging Deep to Discover the Characteristics of an Entrepreneur
Something you may ask yourself along your journey is, “Do I have what it takes to be an entrepreneur?” There are some tough questions you’ll face, but this may be one of the hardest. There are some characteristics of an entrepreneur that you might initially see as weaknesses, but are actually an entrepreneur’s greatest strengths:
- It’s okay to be an introvert…you don’t actually have to thrive on being around people. You will spend a lot of time alone. Building your business from your home or an office means a lot of quality time with me, myself, and I, especially in the beginning.
- Another defining characteristic of and entrepreneur is that they fail. That can sometimes happen when you step out of your comfort zone into uncharted territory for the first time. The strength lies in being able to bounce back and try again. You can move past failures – you are resilient.
- You can dream big. But you also set those dreams into motion.
- You read a lot. Maybe you were a bookworm in school, but that love for reading is going to pay off! A characteristic of an entrepreneur that simply can’t be overlooked is that they are always reading. Whether is the latest how-to on their particular niche, marketing advice, or consumer reports, your business is only going to benefit from your dedication to reading!
- Successful entrepreneurs work smarter not harder. They are innovative and efficient.
- You don’t work well with authority. I know, this seems counterintuitive. But, by being your own boss, it’s really pretty simple. If you don’t work well in a corporate structure, or under a traditional boss, you’ve made the right choice in becoming an entrepreneur. Use this as motivation to succeed so you don’t have to go back to working for “the man.”
- Entrepreneurs aren’t tied down. To some, this may come across as instability. But, the reality is that you can work anywhere. You’re free to travel or work in the car while you’re waiting for a friend or dropping the kids off somewhere.
- Do you friends make fun of you because you have a detailed itinerary for everyday of your vacation? An entrepreneur who loves to plan is headed for success.
- You don’t need direction but, you’re definitely not lost. Entrepreneurs self-direct. You don’t need a supervisor to tell you the next step to take.
- You must be self-aware. Thick skin is an essential characteristic of and entrepreneur. You’re able to receive constructive criticism without taking it personally, and you’re able to turn that feedback into the fuel that helps you make your next big move!
Guest Post By Katherine Mines
Katherine is a Freelance Writer who has a passion for helping others find their voice and grow their business. Katherine currently lives in Germany and when she’s not writing, Katherine enjoys exploring Germany’s endless castles.